Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

Entry room.

Pictures to follow, but here's the quick rundown:

1) Boxed, removed, threw out where applicable - all material from entry room. This sadly included the cushion of the old couch which was under where a leak came in. janeoftrades, who incidentally kicks ass, showed up part way through this process and joined in the mayhem.

Leak: AC in second floor window had water directed into it by a faulty gutter. That water then got incorrectly directed by the AC itself into the window frame - which turned out to be not sealed. I should have seen this when I installed the AC. Instead of running down inside the wall and going un-noticed - long term *really* bad when that sort of crap happens - we discovered the leak about 5 minutes into the rainstorm when the downstairs ceiling horfed archaic plaster and coal dust onto the couch below. Really toxic, that water.

Window closed upstairs, frame not yet fixed.

2) Rent mini-dumper after a comedy of errors in which I turn out not only to have correct spelling be my nemesis, but also forget that at one point I knew that the inexpensive dump trailer company, "Mini-Dumper," Was in fact, "Mini-Dumpr."
3) Remove leftover debris from the media, completely covering the bottom of the trailer. This includes the 10 very heavy construction bags of debris that a trash company wouldn't take despite being within their parameters for, "Will take." Buggers. Having had to place those bags in the back yard to get rained on until we could get the dump trailer... not cool. 50 pound bags weighed 100-130 by the time they'd waterlogged (punctures from nails and whatnot let water in) so I loaded 'em with the hand truck. Thank goodness this dump trailer is a lot lower decked than the last, thus saving my back, my arms, and all my other vac parts.
4) Closed all the doors between rooms downstairs, boxing off the entry room.
5) Drop the knob and tube circuit (#7 on the right panel)
6) Rip the ceiling
7) Take debris out to the 12 yard dump trailer - now more than half full.

6 & 7 conflated for the first half of the ripping until we realized that time was short, so the crowbar and I entered an agreement with Arden, "You let this crap that's hurting you go, I'll get it down as fast as I can, and between us we'll try to avoid bunging up the floor any more than possible, and we'll engage in ladder dancing and support on mountains of debris." 9.5 foot ceilings = dancing on ladder generally, but when switching from slow rip to quick and precise (crank system into fight focus, pick targets, go-go-go!) the ladder moves around a touch more than most people are comfy with. Turns out I'm oddly good at this, even if it did scare the hell out of a couple co-workers when I pulled a concrete ceiling demo in six hours rather than the scheduled two weeks. Six hours because I don't permit myself explosives.

8) Vacuum up the dust. This dust, coal black and plaster white mixing for a dank gray - half an inch of coal dust above some areas - made me most exceptionally glad for my breather. Sweeping first to ensure my fellow mechanical didn't clog its filter was of utmost importance.

On the upside, now I can see how they wired to the porch and I uncovered electrical fire-hazards: The fan mount. Dear gods, the fan mount. the fan itself had enough grease in the engine - restaurant kitchen grease, thus explaining where the prior owners got it - and ground faults, frayed wires, and bad rotor as to be unsalvageable sadly. First fan so far that actually managed to land a mounting screw in a beam, however. The prior owners here were bloody scary. Second, the knob and tube terminating above and just inside the front door - not with wire caps, but simply plastered into place with Spackle. How this failed to catch on fire, I account to the house taking more than a little self-interest.

Not sure if we're hanging more insulation tomorrow or if something else will catch the need, but we've got plenty more to do. Happily, with materials in hand and tools in hand - and a place to put trash! - we can now seriously proceed.

Coming up in no particular order:

1) Insulation. R30.
2) Ceiling hanging (4x8 board)
3) Yanking the last reachable knob and tube. Yep, it's better to have rooms without light and power in many cases than to leave that crap live.
4) Wiring in new lights and outlets.
5) Plate-mounting and potentially jacking the media room ceiling/bathroom floor in place for the 1-inch plywood and sistering finish the media room ceiling off. Fun times. Will require base plate for jack, too.
6) Concrete backer-board will be nabbed such that the upstairs kitchen may go.
7) Granite counter-tops! Yeah, the scrap granite is ever-so-much a win.
8) Geiger counter (Still no luck)
9) Bring in the plumbers to final-place the sink and hook it up.
10) Bang out the old iron tub. Arden's weight loss program commences apace. Only one more radiator to go, too!
11) Wood chipper or *something* to get rid of the brush out back.
12) Probably going to need an arborist for the maple over the roof.