?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous | Next

A bit for the project Arden.

So, the past few days - and a while more, what with all sorts of other stuff getting in the way - have gone like so:

1) Rent van for picking up rain/compost 55 gallon drums.
2) Use said van to pick up granite countertop scrap as well - looks like we've got nearly enough to do all the countertop work, though I'm guessing a couple smaller runs will be needed with the car.

The granite I saw advertized as scrap on craigslist - from a countertop company - wasn't this company after all, but when I called in from the road to find out if they were, in fact, the ones who'd advertized, they said no, "But that's a good idea. Take as much as you want." Smaller scrap in many regards than what I'd seen listed, but importanly: Of two common thicknesses. This means cutting and laying granite as though it were tile is possible. Now I want a geiger counter to verify radiation levels of the granite, of course. $30 or so via ebay for a, "Might work, doesn't have batteries." Hmmmph.

3) Call the fellow selling a wet saw and blades on craigslist about 20 times, email about ten. Connect only one time, while he's at work, "Call back soon!" And so far no luck though I called as late as 20:00 last night and have called several times today.
4) Rip the last of the media room ceiling.
5) Get the dustiest mini-kiln ever. Still need to clean that and bring it inside.

Today was as follows:

1) Lots and lots of wire tracing.

I now have a clear - and rather terrifying - understanding of how the old knob-and-tube was wired: 1 20 amp breaker in the basement running over 12 gauge wire to a junction box in the basement to the knob and tube entry which feeds the second and third floors as well as the first floor ceilings.

2) Using beepy line tester - I love my beepy tester - determine that panel switch 7 is the riser feed.

That was when I found out the original 100 amp panel was feeding the whole knob-and-tube assembly, and if memory serves, before we brought in the 400 amp entrance - as in, a single wire backtraced to where it's old path (still lined in coal dust) went back to the old entrance. Cor. Really glad we placed the proper 100 amp riser panel on the second floor.

3) With power off, clip out all the knob and tube above the media room excepting the pair of strands to the old panel.

That old fusebox panel still runs our AC and upstairs lighting. It's coming out of circuit very soon, but I didn't want to die of the heats if I could avoid it.

4) Wet saw phone calls. Lots. Still no luck.
5) Collect escaped cats from downstairs.
6) More phone calls for other wet saws. Still no luck.
7) Bring all the granite scraps inside. They include bullnose scrap, which means fronts, sides, and corners of cournters are doable.
8) Shower n times. I've lots track.

Ceiling above media room: Full of coal dirt.
Wires in same: Full of coal dirt and shedding insulation. Yeah, I'm glad to have that ripped.
Granite: Covered with granite dust - breathers are lovely things, even if the paneer saag burp-a-thon in the breather while I was working wasn't quite so nice.

9) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
10) Determine probable ease of placement for the electrical runs throughout the house - mostly done.

By way of reference: All the outlets on the first floor are brought up from the basement. Most of them without taking out the foot or two of knob and tube on the way. This will need ripped and replaced with fresh runs.
While so doing, the corresponding basement rooms will be *correctly* wired. Then, instead of most of the electric on one breaker, with four baby circuits on four other breakers - all 20 amp - there will be six breakers as follows:

a) Entry room and parlor + book storage below + porch
b) Shop - wired for heavy, and potentially extra for mini-kiln
c) Dining room and entry room
d) kitchen, pantry, and wash room below
e) bedroom above, water entry room and freezer room below

Those will account for proper outlets, grounded, as well as proper lights. Closets will be affiliated with their respective rooms.

11) Poodle successfully launched. Turns out if you sneeze while holding a poodle who's very (Please vac-parent! Give to me the playings!) excited, she'll explode vertically and pee in your pocket on the way out. Lesson: Don't excite the poodle while waiting for coffe to heat is she's in your lap before going outside. She *might* be full. I had hoped that only vet-folks got the puppy-pocket-pee, but that seems to be not the case under certain circumstances.

12) Tentative mapping for the wiring upstairs also complete

a) Rising from basement, bathroom and cat room circuits, one for heat, one for lights and outlets. Changing wiring path away from some plumbing, too. Everything else from upstairs panel.
b) Light/outlets to kitchen and porch.
c) Light/outlets to bedroom and Jane's office.
d) Light/outlets to barbie closet and vac office
e) Light/outlets from 10 gauge riser to the third floor - no heat there.